[OSM-talk] Getting highway refs onto the mapnik slippy map layer

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 12:46:09 BST 2007

On 05/10/2007, Sven Grüner <sven at schunterscouts.de> wrote:
> Tom Chance schrieb:
> > Indeed, can't Mapnik already do this?
> >
> > Look at London at zoom level 10 and imagine every red road having a label, it
> > would be impossible to read:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.5024&lon=-0.1107&zoom=10
>
> Yes, you're right about that.
>
> But the London example showed me that it would be good to blend out not
> only the labels of minor roads but the roads itself. When I look at that
> link I expect the M25 to pop right into my eyes, maybe also the most
> important trunks. But that dense mesh of primaries and secondaries is
> only confusing.

The washed out road colours don't help this much...

If you look at google's effort you can see what it would look like
with trunk labels at zoom 10 with more defined colours.

Yahoo make it look much cleaner, by (as far as i can tell)
reclassifying trunks within the north and south circular roads as
primary, and primaries as secondaries.