[OSM-talk] Getting highway refs onto the mapnik slippy map layer

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 5 20:09:51 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 18:45 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <3c035a7629b7390fd0fe48cc1a16f3d1 at acrewoods.net>
>           Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:
>
> > This has been annoying me for some time now: "The motorway refs are really
> > nice, so it will be handy when they show up on other kinds of roads. I'd
> > suggest that trunk road refs show up from level 12, primary from 13 or 14
> > and the rest somewhere after that." -
> > http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/388
>
> I've now committed this - zoom levels are as you proposed, although
> that came from my own experimentation rather than anything else.
>
> Tom

Looks good. I've deployed it on tile.

I think we may be stretching the current osm.xml file a bit far if we
try to implement country-specific shield symbols (as was mentioned on
IRC).

The rule set is already pretty complex and I'm afraid that it will
become completely unmanageable if we throw in another dimension to have
country specific styles. The current rules with the OSM object filter,
the geometry type, zoom level and data source are already pretty tough
to understand.

Artem mentioned on mapnik-devel that he is considering making changes to
how the Mapnik rules are structured to get around some current
limitations.

	Jon