[OSM-talk] POIs from OSM data

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Sun Oct 7 23:53:43 BST 2007

Hi,

I extracted some POIs (restaurants, hotels etc.) from last week's planet
file. File formats are gpx and gpi[1]. Gpx is a more versatile format,
while gpi are garmin POIs usable on several Garmin devices.

Usage:
* The GPX files can be loaded directly into JOSM, giving you a clue
about mistagged or misspelled nodes. A Restaurant, for example, should
appear with its name in JOSM, not simply as "restaurant".
Please note that in the JOSM file selector you can select multiple files
by keeping the shift key pressed down while selecting files (uberkewl
feature, BTW).

* Use gpsbabel[2], Gebabbel[3] or any other software of your choice to
convert the gpx files to your favourite format

* I have assigned proximity alarms of 20m to the POIs, so if you go out
mapping in an already mapped area your device will alert you if a POI
already exists in the database. I didn't manage, though, the other way
around: The device alerts you if an object is *not* yet in the
database ;-) .

Best regards,

ce

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:SlowRider