[OSM-talk] Easiest way to export specific data for GIS usage

Patrick Weber p.weber at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 16:56:58 BST 2007

Hi

I am interested in getting out of OSM the whole London Tube/DLR/Tram
Station Network. I understand this dataset is fairly complete, and as
TFL are a *difficult* for data sharing this could be my saviour.

I need to get the OSM data somehow into my GIS software , Manifold. Now,
I only have a very basic knowledge of OSM data exporting, and am stuck
as it seems that OSM uses a custom XML format for which I dont know any
converters that could bring it into a GIS format such as a shp file.

Can someone give me a quick dummies guide to extracting data from OSM
(ideally only the relevant datasets) and how to convert to shp (or some
other alternative format my GIS will digest).

Cheers

Patrick