[OSM-talk] JOSM user interface

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Wed Oct 10 11:12:22 BST 2007

Chris Morley schrieb:

> 1) The autocomplete facility on the dialog for adding tags really gets
> in the way. When you start to type, say, a name, the fist possibility
> starting with the letter you have typed appears highlighted. But the
> letter(s) you have typed should not be highlighted - then you could, if
> you wanted, just keep typing. As it is at present your second letter
> replaces everything and you lose your first letter. Working around this
> bug is tedious. Because of it, I have been using an old JOSM version
> from before the bug appeared, but, with the change in the API, this is
> no longer possible.

never seen this (linux, windows (metal))

> 2) In the tag dialog the dropdown box doesn't always open to its full
> extent - sometimes just a single line, which is a pain for lists of
> highway types, for instance. (Incidentally, most user interfaces skimp
> on the size of dropdown lists unnecessarily.)

Never seen this.

> A couple of issues with the new 0.5 version.
> 3) As pointed out by Francois De Ryckel on the newbies list, a new
> 'segment' drawn from the end node of a way is added to that way, even
> when the way is not selected. It should only happen when the way was
> previously selected.

This was the behaviour from the start, but I would very much like more
control over wether a new way is started or if a way should be added to,
which way. (JOSM starts a new way from an intersection node
automatically, but sometimes you want to continue a way stopping at said
junction node).

> 4) As Ben has pointed out on this list, it is not easy to remove a
> 'segment' from an existing way. Can I suggest it could be done by a
> procedure which feels like the opposite of adding a 'segment'. Adding is
> done by dragging from the last node of the (selected) way to an external
> node. The removal would be dragging in a reverse direction, from the
> last node to the second last node. At the other end, dragging from the
> second to the first node would remove the first node. For a closed way
> (first and last nodes the same), dragging from any node to an adjacent
> node would open the way. I think this way of working would be intuitive
> and make editing significantly easier.

I would find that decidedly strange behaviour.

> 6) The delete mode should not delete anything when you click the button.
> Deletion should occur only when you subsequently click an object.

I need the "delete this selection" capability this offers.
However this should probably be mapped to shift-d hotkey and perhaps get
it's own button.

- --

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0952°N 8.8652°E