[OSM-talk] Google Maps comparison

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 12:17:52 BST 2007

Tom Chance wrote:

>Sent: 11 October 2007 11:57 AM

>To: talk at openstreetmap.org

>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Google Maps comparison

>Hullo,

>I think the comparison is generally fab, but it does highlight the pressing

>need for tools to monitor and roll back changes in the event of vandalism

>;)

>On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:20:28 +0100, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>

>wrote:

>> Of course the biggest OSM error is that lots of streets are missing

>> altogether. Often this is obvious because there's just a skeleton, but

>> sometimes people have mapped 2/3 of streets spread evenly in a village

>> (i.e. not the west half of the village, say, but an apparently random

>> distribution which makes it look plausible).

>Which is why I like to consistently add one hell of a lot of detail and

>spread out slowly :)

>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.46579988676173&lon=-

>0.07525800476164196&zoom=15&layers=B0T

>Alternatively, leave an obvious indication of missing data:

>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Criccieth

>It makes picking up where I've left off much easier for someone else!

I'll second that but with a caveat. While I'm mapping from base I too take
the systematic approach as can be seen here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.54352318881625
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.54352318881625&lon=-1.8792991130458936
&zoom=15&layers=0BF> &lon=-1.8792991130458936&zoom=15&layers=0BF where there
is a clear demarcation of what I have and have not mapped either side of the
Kingstanding Road.

But in contrast if I'm travelling to somewhere outside of my area I
generally have limited time available but still wish to contribute traces
and editing. I'm sure many OSM'ers are the same, our daily travels are more
random, less systematic and certainly not dedicated surveying trips.
Nevertheless they are still valuable in seeding an area and showing
something on the map. This project is a wiki like project, data can be
committed by the many and we do actively encourage that. While it doesn't
necessarily produce a "complete" map (especially without secondary
verification) it does produce something more than was there before and that,
I believe, is  important for those areas where there are as yet no local
active OSM users.

Cheers

Andy