[OSM-talk] Mapnik Layer - Differences between Zoom levels

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:18:05 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:45 +0100, Patrick Weber wrote:
> As a newbie I have a question about something I noticed today.
> I recently (last week) added  some stuff round my neighbourhood, in
> particular a park and footpaths. I know that the Mapnik gets updated
> once a week, on Wednesday's? so I waited for the changes to become
> visible. Today, I can see my added park at Zoomlevel 17 but not 16 , it
> appears again then at level 14. How is that possible ?

The tiles at every zoom level get rendered independently so data will
appear on some zoom levels before others. Sometimes tiles next to one
another will even show a mix of old/new data.

The rendering got paused earlier today due an extra heavy load on the
server due to OSM being featured in some web articles. I'll restart it
later tonight.

> Also, on www.openstreetmap.org , how can I get a permalink ? there
> doesnt seem to be a function for that?

Right click on the 'View' tab at the top corner of the map and 'copy
link location'. Or click on view and then copy the URL from the address
bar.

  Jon