[OSM-talk] Does potlatch make it too easy for people to unintentionally screw things up?

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Thu Oct 11 23:17:30 BST 2007

Hi Folks,

Firstly, an apology to Richard, the author of Potlatch... I know you've put
in lots of time and effort into trying to make Potlatch an easy to use,
functional tool that is easily accessible... That sort of effort has to be
appreciated...

However...

I've never had a pleasant experience with Potlatch... From my own attempts
to use it, I found it doing things unexpected, just trying to look at
existing data very easily led to unintentional changes and some of them were
uploaded/applied before you noticed... Maybe my internet connection made it
less usable, maybe I'm just not clever enough to anticipate what Potlatch
will do next, either way, after each time I've used potlatch I've had to
fire up JOSM to clean up the mess left behind in a short period of time...
Lots of other people seem to cope fine leading me to doubt myself, however,
I keep finding new messes produced by people using potlatch that are quite
clearly vandalism, even if it is unintentional.
I really do think Potlatch makes it too easy to screw things up...

And with that, I'm going back to fix the latest screwed up area that
Potlatch empowered... Random new ways around the city, existing ways
mangled, POIs moved seemingly randomly... What a mess...  :(