[OSM-talk] building entrances

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 13:53:51 BST 2007

I too find railway stations hard to deal with. Over the last few days I have been trying to make some sense of the London tube line network and it's associated stations. There are many variants of station arrangements - different stations called the same thing in slightly different locations and serving different tube lines. Just putting a node called that station name doesn't work in this situation. Is this a case for relation(ships) - which I don't claim to have understood yet - as you don't want multiple versions of station names occurring in renders?
In passing - I have used an out-of-copyright Geographer's Map Company map of London (which shows the actual alignment of the early underground sections) to re-align some of the tube lines a bit, and in the process remove some of the anomalous tube line "turnings" that occurred at some stations (there was a 90 degree turn at one station location!). These are beginning to show up in the most recent rendering.

NB: then there is the whole issue of tube lines sharing tunnels/lines with train lines and how to show that so that if required one could select from the database only the tube or train data for specific purposes.

Cheers
STEVE

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager
School of Health and Social Sciences
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk