[OSM-talk] Disallow Anonymous Edits NOW

tim chippy2005 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:21:36 BST 2007

+1 to being able to contact recent editors of node

+1 for history and rollback

-1 for making all edits public

So you think they can be reconciled? I'm sure we are smart enough.

some thoughts:

anonymity is not the same as "rotating logins"

"Maybe that person could be forced to read or even reply to such
messages before making new edits. " is open to obvious abuse.

"let's see where else this user maps" - targeting of individuals,
stalking, bullying, increasing the problem of bad edits.

"lets make a list naming and shaming the worst offenders of X
behaviour in this area"

Spamming of emails/messages/advertisements to all editors who live in
London about an exciting new website/medicine/business opportunity

Chinese mappers and other places with less liberal views on privacy.

---

With a little thought I'm sure you can also think of other potential examples.

Also, beware saying "those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear".

Of course, as previous emails have said it's not directly mappable
between osm user and real person, but it's one step closer.

Sure, I've made my edits public already, but if I see stuff I don't
like as the project takes off, (or i go to China with my GPS) I might
change my mind.

Tim