[OSM-talk] specific Relations

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Oct 15 15:37:17 BST 2007

Hi,

>   So, after all my long-winded verbage, my question is: do members
>   *have* to be self-closing XML tags, or could they also contain
>   <tag>s?

The membership itself is restricted to the role tag but if need be you
can have arbitrary nesting of relationships.

For example, relationship X models a bus route with 20 stops, all are
nodes contained in that relationship as members. However stop #21 has
lots of special rules which are not special for stop #21 (and could
hence be tags on the node) but special to stop #21 with regard to
route X. So you make another relation that you call "type=bus_stop",
with the node for #21 in the role of "location", plus any number of
interesting tags, and then add this relation to your overall route
relation.

This is just a quick shot and no proper design concept but the tools
are there to do it, you'd only have to think of a good way to use
them, and presumably for something so complex we'd have to have a
special "bus stop editor" panel in editors like JOSM.

Bye
Frederik