[OSM-talk] 'Modeless' josm bugs/requests

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Tue Oct 16 15:31:19 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> writes:

> The aim is to update the status bar dynamically depending on what you
> are just doing and what modifiers you are using. We're not fully there
> yet, but I would like the status bar to say as precisely as possible
> what your current options are - and not just describe what you can
> generally do in the mode you have selected.
>
> So for example, in edit mode, when shift is pressed, it should say
> "click to add an unconnected node", but when you release shift it
> should say "click to add a node and connect to the currently selected
> node".
>
> Proper tooltips are also good, as is a kind of "preview" that gives
> optical indications of what is going to happen.

I wouldn't want tooltips to pop up in the drawing area while
editing. I think the status bar is fine to give the user hints on what
his options are. So when in edit mode a node is selected and JOSM
would normally extend a way it could say "Extending way; hold 'Alt' to
start a new way"

If the status bar is not obvious enough these messages could go in
their own text bar at the top of the drawing window.

Matthias