[OSM-talk] New mappaint version 5024 - now with a "fill area opacity" preference

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Wed Oct 17 21:16:34 BST 2007

Hi List!

After some user demand to set the transparency of filled areas, I've
just committed a new mappaint version 5024.

It now has an integer preference "mappaint.fillalpha" to set the opacity
level that is used to fill areas. It can be set between 0 (transparent -
"0 is invisible") and 255 (solid - as before). The default is 50, which
seems to be the best possible compromise between "visibility" (you can
see something "is" there) and "transparency" (see something "behind"
it), but I'm very certain that a lot of people will prefer other values
here :-)

There is a drawback with this setting: areas are now much darker than
their surrounding way, I guess because the background is now "shining
through", which is black (or at least dark for WMS images).

You can change the setting while JOSM is running and it should
immediately take effect (you might need to slightly zoom or move the
drawing area).

I've updated
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/JOSM/Plugins/MapPaint and
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Plugins accordingly.

Please try out and comment.

Regards, ULFL

P.S: I know, it's becoming more and more pressing that we need some
comfortable GUI way to change these mappaint settings
P.P.S: No, I didn't had the time to look at the "switch mappaint on/off
completely" that was also discussed / demanded