[OSM-talk] prohibited/restricted/priority and mandatory manoeuvres

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Oct 20 17:10:31 BST 2007

Sure, I will copy it to the wiki. But I also think we should aim to get this
settled in the next week or two, or we are going to find people are getting
on with coding using the 'draft' proposal which will make it harder to then
change.

I think it would be good to describe all the tags we can predict we are
going to need at the start, and I also think we should make it as easy as
possible for professional users to migrate to OSM by using the same phrases
for the same purposes (ie not using 'restricted' for a concept where the
convention is to use 'prohibited', especially as the term 'restricted' means
something else). Also there is the practical question that if we use the
term restricted to cover 'prohibited' then what do we use for what the
industry call restricted? I guess we could use 'difficult' or 'inadvisable'
or 'impossible', but none of them quite work.

I would be happy to use Ipswich as the basis for some real comprehensive
coding. I would aim to catch all the car, hgv and cycling restrictions for
at least the core of the town and make it available to anyone doing routers.

As a matter of fact Simon Nuttall has already been testing the Cambridge
Cycle Planner out using Ipswich OSM data over the past month, and he might
be happy to add this functionality to his planner.

Regards,

Peter