[OSM-talk] Tagging of Viewpoints

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Oct 21 10:58:31 BST 2007

On Saturday 20 Oct 2007 21:54, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     a good tourism map will often indicate viewpoints with a symbol
> similar to this:
>
> http://www.scouts.ie/filestore/images/Viewpoint.gif
>
> and the symbol will be placed in the direction of view, and also
> indicate the angular size of the view (may be only 90 degrees, or a full
> 360 degree panorama...)

direction=XXX? (where XXX=degrees)

> Any suggestions on how to tag this? We have tourism=viewpoint in our map
> features, but no details. direction=<number>, angle=<number>?
>
> It would also be possible to draw viewpoints that don't have full
> panorama as a three-point way, or a relation with three nodes, where one
> is always the actual viewpoint and the others indicate the field of view...

One other thing I was thinking of doing (on Freemap) was to provide a link
from each viewpoint to a site which shows viewpoint panoramas (forget what it
was, but remember looking at it last year following a trip to Scotland -
think it covers Europe and the US)

Nick