[OSM-talk] Oxford University use without attribution

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:37:15 BST 2007

On 10/22/07, Stephen Gower <socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li> wrote:
>   Oxford University's new website launched this morning.  Some of us
>   noted that they are using OSM data (in fact, pulling tiles straight
>   off the tile server) without attribution.  Was this cleared in any
>   way, or are they just abusing the free nature of OSM?
>
>   http://www.ox.ac.uk/applications/dynamic/map.rm?postcode=OX2+6UD&location=Wolfson%20College&id=490
>
>   Should we be flattered that the Oxford data is considered good
>   enough to use and let it go, or should we try to get them attribute
>   in some way?  Posted to legal because of the copyright violation,
>   and crossposted to talk because there may be bandwidth implications
>   for tile.openstreetmap.org.
>
>   In my juvenile manner, I'd be tempted to serve something other than
>   the requested tile if the referrer is www.ox.ac.uk - but perhaps it
>   would be best to be grownup and try to come to a proper
>   arrangement.

Perhaps this has already been discussed on legal-talk, but I can see
(what appears to be) sufficient attribution - perhaps it's changed
since you wrote it.

As for tile bandwidth, that's a different matter. I know I'd be dead
keen on people reusing the cycle layer images if the bandwidth use
wasn't extreme, but my feelings bear no impact on those of the
custodians of tile.openstreetmap.org

Cheers,
Andy