[OSM-talk] forum.openstreetmap.org

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 27 01:52:52 BST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:08:43PM +0200, Lambertus wrote:
> Since there is a sub domain http://forum.openstreetmap.org, which points
> to a Plesk CC page somewhere, I humbly request that it is forwarded to
> the forum that is in use today: http://osm.na1400.info. Om my request
> the webhoster has made special provisions to allow this construction.

Has anything become of this?

I think we had something approaching a consensus to let Lambertus have
that redirect when spaetz did a prototype of a forum with single
login, then Lambertus said he'll try and move over to that, but
nothing was ever heard of the effort again. I'm sure spaetz had only
the best intentions but it seems that he effectively buried the
proposal by suggesting something that would have put Lambertus out
of his depth.

As I said before, even though I personally prefer mailing lists I can
see that many people like forums better so why not officially sanction
the one Lambertus has installed. There's a good user base already, and
as far as I can see, Lambertus continues to do a good job at catering
to the forum users, answering questions and all on a daily basis. This
community aspect is much more important than the question whether
people need one or two passwords.

I never thought I'd say that one day but: forum.openstreetmap.org now!

Bye
Frederik