[OSM-talk] Malaysia GPS group

Keith Ng khensthoth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:17:06 GMT 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I am mapping a state in Malaysia now, specifically
Penang:
http://www.informationfreeway.org/index.php?lat=5.377882239053702&lon=100.3219143244873&zoom=12&layers=B000F000

Specifically, MalsingMaps is a set of map of Malaysia and Singapore (hence
the name) made by the public using GPS tracks, very much like our OSM. Their
goal is to make the map for Garmin devices. Their map is quite complete now,
for both Malaysia and Singapore.

If I am not wrong, a lot of people contributed the GPS tracks, while only a
few are allow (or have the expertise) to edit the map. They used to be free
(as in beer), but since June or so of this year, they made the "Latest" map
only available to those who have contributed in the forum, either by naming
POI, correcting mistakes or helping other people. The only free (beer) data
now is the one released in June, and they do not intend to make any "Latest"
release free to people who have not made any contribution.

In addition to that, I think the map itself is subjected to strict copyright
not entirely compatible with CCBYSA. They have a policy page:
http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Copyright_and_Map_Ownership_policies

I have yet to contact them about the prospect of any collaboration, but
based on the points mentioned above, I would say collaboration might be a
possibility, although very unlikely.

Keith