[OSM-talk] suburb boundaries

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Mon Sep 3 11:18:39 BST 2007

Franc Carter wrote:

> I have access to some suburb boundaries that I plan to add to OSM,
> several of the boundaries are defined by roads, rivers, railways etc.
>
> My original plan was to use the existing segments of these features
> as part of the boundaries so, as they are tweaked there is a higher
> chance of things staying put.
>
> However, I noticed that JOSM's validator now had an option flags such
> re-used segments - is doing this sort of thing deprected ?

I tried re-using segments from roads as parts of area ways for some
parks. Apart from the validator, you also have the difficulty that
segments forming area ways must all point the same direction, and at
some point that will probably be impossible.

I gave up and just drew my areas with separate segments. If the rule
about segments pointing the same direction were relaxed, I think
re-using segments like this would make lots of sense. Currently, though,
I want a consistent method, and it seems that segment re-use can't be
consistent.

Andrew.