[OSM-talk] Non-slippy map link on front page?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Sep 3 17:54:35 BST 2007

In message <200709031743.53018.tom at acrewoods.net>
          Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> An old acquaintance has pointed out to me that the slippy map isn't very
> friendly for people without javascript and with minor disabilities:
> http://tom.acrewoods.net/blog/2007/sep/social-mapping#comments
>
> The slippy map does have the little arrows at the top left, but what do people
> think about adding a link on the front page to a static tile browser like
> OJW's for accessibility reasons?
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Browse/

There is an outstanding ticket for this, and somebody has already
suggested privately to me resolving that ticket by embedding the
static tile browser, but it's actually far more complicated than
that as the page has lots of javascript dependency beyond that.

As far as putting a link on goes, the problem is one of screen real
estate as we've already got people complaining that they can't see
everything without scrolling.

There's also an issue about whether we want a dependency on something
that isn't part of the main official web site like that.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/