[OSM-talk] Osmarender 5

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Sep 5 19:27:37 BST 2007

80n wrote:

> There's bound to be lots of bugs, please let me know if anything breaks
> or if you any of the rendering results don't look right.

I'm sure you're aware already, but there seem to be some kerning
problems, e.g. at
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=44.512369491291565&lon=-89.58191025398979&user=hawke&zoom=16&layers=B000F000
("Maple street")

It could also stand some work on ensuring that crossing roads' names
don't collide with each other (e.g. on the above link, bottom right, the
names "matilda street" and "henrietta street" collide.)  It may of
course be necessary to shrink the names sometimes, and I imagine it
becomes computationally complex to fit them all properly and optimally,
like at the center of
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=44.51720454690858&lon=-89.57184660794564&user=hawke&zoom=15&layers=B000F000

On the other hand, Bravo! on having names displayed at zoom 14 and
15...though I think more agreessive font shrinking would be fine/good,
when necessary to fit a road name into a short road (not seeing the
lower "Tamarac Street" until zoomed into z17 at
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=44.512637265940654&lon=-89.58154547364278&user=hawke&zoom=17&layers=B000F000
is ridiculous)