[OSM-talk] New osmarender markings - what does dashed blackmean?

Robert Scott lists at humanleg.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 19:16:15 BST 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 01:09, 80n wrote:
> > So the procedure is that if there is something you want to see rendered,
> > you just ignore the whole proposal/vote thing and get access to SVN and
> > go ahead and make any old change you want. I thought that must be the
> > procedure, but it wasn't documented anywhere, I'm glad to see it
> > officially sanctioned now ;)
>
> You are free to use any tags you like.  You are also free to grab a copy of
> Mapnik or Osmarender, modify the rules file to suit your needs and render
> whatever you like.

I think this is a prime example of why git would be far more suited to the osm
developers (and, more importantly, potential developers) than svn is.

We have a lot of crazy people with their own crazy ideas - and this is good -
it should be encouraged. It's just that people should be encouraged to create
their own branches of say JOSM or osmarender with their crazy ideas
implemented from which an 'official' branch (run by 80n in this case) can
pull if the ideas mature.

And yes, I'm aware this is a rather unproductive
this-is-what-you-should-do-sorry-I-dont-have-time-to-implement-it message.
Sorry about that.

robert.