[OSM-talk] New osmarender markings - what does dashed blackmean?

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Wed Sep 12 07:18:06 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:16:15PM +0100, Robert Scott wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 September 2007 01:09, 80n wrote:
> > > So the procedure is that if there is something you want to see rendered,
> > > you just ignore the whole proposal/vote thing and get access to SVN and
> > > go ahead and make any old change you want. I thought that must be the
> > > procedure, but it wasn't documented anywhere, I'm glad to see it
> > > officially sanctioned now ;)
> >
> > You are free to use any tags you like.  You are also free to grab a copy of
> > Mapnik or Osmarender, modify the rules file to suit your needs and render
> > whatever you like.
>
> I think this is a prime example of why git would be far more suited to the osm
> developers (and, more importantly, potential developers) than svn is.

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/hgsvn/

Not Git, but mercurial, but distributed anyway: This set of scripts allows to work locally on Subversion-managed projects using the Mercurial distributed version control system.
Why use Mercurial ? You can do local (disconnected) work, pull the latest changes from the SVN server, manage private branches, submit patches to project maintainers, etc. And of course you have fast local operations like "hg log", "hg annotate"...