[OSM-talk] forum.openstreetmap.org

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Sat Sep 15 08:52:22 BST 2007

>3. There's only one thing that is worse than splitting discussion
>between a forum and a mailing list, and that is trying to somehow copy
>postings between them. It never works, and always breaks both; not
>least because the behavioural norms in both mediums are different.

My 'main' open source project has reached the same point where the users are demanding a php style forum while the developers are resisting it. Both sides can put up good arguments. We are looking into a phpBB implementation that offers an automatic two-way email interface (i.e. members can choose to get all forum messages emailed and emailed replies go the forum). I shall post our findings and experiences here.
Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton at uws.edu.au