[OSM-talk] forum.openstreetmap.org

Mon Sep 17 07:18:36 BST 2007

Lester Caine wrote:

> Exactly the same 'complaint' applies. If you want those of us who
> can ANSWER
> newbies' questions, then you need to give US access to it. *I* am
> not looking
> for any more online forums to try and support, but an extra email
> one is not a
> problem.
>
> ONE method that is flexible and can do everything is much more
> practical than
> just adding yet another avenue that needs peoples time to support it?

No, because (a) the newbies aren't using, and won't use, the mailing
lists - just compare the low traffic at http://
lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/newbies/ to the exponential growth
that Etienne described at SOTM if you don't believe me.

And (b) just because "*you*" won't use forums doesn't mean anyone
else experienced won't. We don't need every OSMer present on talk@ to
use the forums, just four or five who are prepared to answer
questions, and we easily have that many.

cheers
Richard