[OSM-talk] forum.openstreetmap.org

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Mon Sep 17 09:08:18 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:45:07AM +0200, Lambertus wrote:
> I think you did a good job. Pitty though that you haven't used PunBB,
> that would've made the transition from my forum to dev a lot easier ;-)

I actually tried, to be able to integrate it into your forum, but I couldn't work out how to plug in external authentication frameworks, so I stopped using it. Also, i couldn't find any docs of how to plug in things into that BB, so if you have any, I'd be happy to receive them.

You have access to the dev server, right? Have a look at  /var/www/phorum/mods, which contains osm_auth.php.

The crucial part is simply:
 $authURL=sprintf("http://%s:%s@api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4/user/details",urlencode($login['username']),urlencode($login['password']
));
  $header = get_headers($authURL,1);
  if ($header[0] == 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK') {

That will try to authenticate against your username and password and either return 403 or 200.

> How much work was it to get the login working? Maybe it can be adapted
> to PunBB (Personally I think PunBB reads better because it is more
> 'compact').

Sure, I like the PunBB layout, it simple and nice, as I said, I just couldn't find a way of working with it, while the Phorum software had very detailed docs of how to make external authentication plugins work.

> Anyway, I have no problems performing that role.

I'm all for pointing forum.osm to your forum, if that helps. If you need assistance in trying out some of these authentication mechansims, just shout.

spaetz