[OSM-talk] Single sign-on

Richard George wechsler at phase.org
Mon Sep 17 11:29:09 BST 2007

OK, I'd do better here if I paid more attention to the list config...

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Perhabs we can use OpenID
>
> For all I've heard, OpenID essentially forces you to use the same
> username in all participating services, which is something that not
> everybody will be happy with.

You can create accounts / delegations on pretty much as many openID
servers (personal or public) as you want.

> Of course I want to log in with the same username everywhere, but I
> do not necessarily want everyone else to be able to make the connection.
>
> Plus, the OpenID user names tend to be ugly and long, and it is
> unlikely that things like MediaWiki will work well with that.

I believe there's an update to the spec which allows a 'friendly name'
to be returned as part of the authentication.

> But I have not fully examined OpenID, so if there is some kind of
> translation layer that I have missed (which enables one to use
> different, short, user names in each realm) just point me to it.

HTH,
	Richard

believed to be clean.