[OSM-talk] Single sign-on

Richard George wechsler at phase.org
Mon Sep 17 11:44:48 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> You can create accounts / delegations on pretty much as many openID
>> servers (personal or public) as you want.
>
> And still have the comfort of single sign-on?

Well, depends what you mean by that. If you want to be able to sign on
with the same authentication but a different name on various sites, then
you're going to have to maintain a site/name (or openID/localname)
mapping somewhere. For each openID server you only need to sign into
that server once, although you'll usually need to authorise identity
passing (probably once-off) for each client site.

AFAIK openID doesn't support such a mapping, but there's no reason that
(eg) OSM or mediaWiki can't store and display a local name against a
known openID URL - I know that 37signals' HighriseHQ uses this, as does
my own site.

HTH,
	Richard

believed to be clean.