[OSM-talk] Extruded buildings

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Sep 17 19:43:09 BST 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 16:49:02 Steve Chilton wrote:
> My view is that is has to be done really well (and completely) to be of
> any real value. Once you start putting any height visualisation in
> people want accuracy (cf SteveC's post about accurately surveyed detail
> of major buildings like the one you illustrated your posting with)
> rather than impressions. So, actual heights, or numbers of stories, are
> an absolute must.

Or don't represent height at all, just show all buildings as slightly extruded
like in the shot Artem provided. Then it conveys "ooh, it's a building"
really well (I love it) and you don't then think that building is 15 metres
high just because Mapnik uses the default of 15.

On the default map, anyway. If people want to gather height data for their
area then they can do that and go all the way with accurate representation of
dimensions, shapes, etc. in their render.

Kind regards,
Tom

--
| Green Party Speaker on Intellectual Property and Free Software |
| http://tom.acrewoods.net    ::    http://www.greenparty.org.uk |