[OSM-talk] To John Bright (unwayed segments to unclassified ways)

Luka Frelih luka at ljudmila.org
Wed Sep 26 12:26:29 BST 2007

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>>   - highway=unclassified - it's a highway with no official classification
>>   - highway=unknown - for when it's known to be a highway, but it's not
>> known what kind it is.  The Validator could then flag these things up as
>> "needs more work"...
>>

> I'm taking the approach that untagged ways are the new unwayed
> segments. So anything I create from segments simply goes in as a way,
> no tags (except for created_by). Potlatch displays such ways in a
> different colour, making it easy to see what needs more work - don't
> know about JOSM/Validator.

so wouldnt it better to convert existing runs of adjacent untagged
segments to longer untagged ways in the 0.5 upgrade instead of making
each segment a way of its own? we'd get less of them and it seems to me
it might be easier to split them later than having to join lots of
little ways.

we could just do this greedily or try to be smart and split on every
intersection.

LF