[OSM-talk] Neat routing demo

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 26 20:22:07 BST 2007

Hi,

> Interesting side point: the most inefficient thing about the OSM
> database for routing is, at the moment, the fact that a new way can
> start anywhere on some other way.  Instead of going from the start of a
> way and springing to the end of it then looking where to go from there,
> you end up having to look at each segment and looking whether some other
> way starts there.  This won't, I think, go away with 0.5?

No.

However, there is a lot to be said for ways that do not straddle
junctions, not least them making routing easier. With 0.5 there is a
*possible* development towards that; relations could then be used to
group all these "way bits" that make up a street. However this is just
a distant possibility and completely open whether things will develop
that way.

Others have put forward the case of different kinds of nodes -
"structural" nodes where ways interconnect, and "shape" nodes that
only help define the shape of a way. This would also help routing, but
hasn't even received a broad discussion.

So we're quite far away from anything that would make your life easier
in that department. But it's not impossible either.

Bye
Frederik