[OSM-talk] linz dataset

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 15:22:26 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:02 PM, David Ebling <dave_ebling at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  > well, the attribution they want is so close to that
>  >demanded by
>  > cc-by-sa as to have no real-world difference
>
>  >>whenever we display NZ we would have to display
>  "crown
>  >>copyright" somewhere totally undermines the purpose
>  of
>
>  >not necessarily - the settled upon option appears to
>  >be a link on the
>  >map page pointing to the attribution page, where all
>  >data sources are
>  >listed. the link doesn't change, nether does the
>  >text on the front
>  >page, or the attribution page
>
>  >the CC-by-SA licence - to make sure people know that
>  >the data is freely available.
>
>  >the two (copyright and cc-by-sa) don't have to
>  >contradict each other
>
>  True, I acknowledge that, but requiring two seperate
>  attributions for OSM data is going to be confusing to
>  people who use the data. So far we have managed to get
>  by on just one attribution.

I think the idea is to provide a list of big contributions with the
relevant attributions on some OSM page somewhere, and also explain how
to find out the attribution for a particular objects if people want
more detail.

Everybody else can then just say exactly what they have been saying
"cc-by-sa OSM and contributors" (or similar), and point to
www.openstreetmap.org for the detailed attribution data.

If LINZ aren't happy with that then there's no data import until we
can find common ground.