[OSM-talk] Cycle lanes

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 23:47:35 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Bjørn Bürger <openstreetmap at penguin.de>
wrote:

> Karl Newman wrote:
> > I don't know why everyone's opposed to left/right. It's unambiguous,
>  > and properly structured it would not be difficult for
>  > editors to accommodate it.
>
> Hmm, IMO neither north/south, nor left/right are a good solution for
> this problem. The only clean solution would be a relation, saying
> something like "feature=abc from node=x to node=y".
>
> Bjørn

You still haven't solved the left/right problem. For example, house numbers
are commonly even on one side and odd on the other. How do you indicate
odd/even with the "from...to" structure you mention without using left/right
(or some equivalent)? Or what about bus stops which are only on one side of
the road (arguably a more difficult problem)?

Karl