[OSM-talk] Cycle lanes

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 00:24:17 BST 2008

Excuse me while I but in...

I'd agree that Left/right doesn't feel like the right solution - I've
got a different idea for a solution which doesn't seem to have been
suggested.

For me the whole problem comes down to the fact that in the current
representation there is no concept of a WIDTH of a way - or at least
not one that is respected by any of the software.  This means that
positioning items at the 'edge' or 'inside' of a way becomes a
complete mess.

If instead we give the way a width then the problem becomes a lot
simpler.  The bus stop, cycle track or lane gets created in its actual
physical location (as near as possible) and gets marked with a 'child
of' relationship to the parent way.

Width is either a standard default based on the 'highway' or an actual
measurement.

Because of the 'relationship' software that wants to render the way at
a different size can either scale the way (and contents) or drop back
to the standard way representation.

Seems pretty clean to me - so what am I missing!?

--
 Brian