[OSM-talk] Easy way to export to Illustrator?

Erik Johansson emj at kth.se
Sat Apr 5 20:36:37 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Axel von Matern <spam at klart.nu> wrote:

> Until then I found out an somewhat easy way to do it (wont give you
> any fancy stuff like the tags or leyers etc):
> - Export GPX-file from JOSM
> - Upload it to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and choose SVG as target
> file type
> - Import the SVG-file into Adobe Illustrator
> - All ways will be segmented. This you can fix with the "Concatenate"
> plugin from http://rj-graffix.com/software/plugins.html (20dollars).

I don't see why there isn't an OSM to SVG converter webservice, it's
what osmarender does.. To get a nice looking map in the zoom level you
want you will need to do some more reading than this:

On MacOSX you should be able to do this in the terminal:

## Download osmarender
curl -O http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/osmarender6/osmarender.xsl
curl -O http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/osmarender6/osm-map-features-z17.xml

## Download OSM data
curl http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/map?bbox=17.99,59.3,18.0,59.31
>sthm-map.osm
ln -s sthm-map.osm data.osm

## Render to SVG
xsltproc --path . --path ./symbols osm-map-features-z17.xml > map.svg

That gives you a SVG of an area where a lot of the swedish OSM:ers have lived.

--
/emj