[OSM-talk] CC-TV, ANPR & GATSOs

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 09:47:14 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Greg <noh.way.jose at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Is anyone mapping the positioning of these devices in the UK? I don't yet have
>  a GPS :o|
>
>  Is there an easy guide on how to contribute?
>
>  For those outside the UK, the UK is currently the most surveiled society in
>  the world. ANPR is a network of automatic numberplate recognition cameras on
>  all routes. All our journeys are logged and kept for two years. We also have
>  more closed circuit cameras that all other countries. GATSOs are the Belgian
>  made traffic speed cameras, which are used partly for safety and partly for
>  revenue generation. Coming to most contries soon :o(

Be aware that wondering around taking pictures of CC-TV cameras is a
very good way of getting yourself arrested :-(
Police have a tendency to regard this as "information of a kind likely
to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism",
and while you may be able to convince them you had a "reasonable
excuse" I wouldn't count on it to avoid a lot of inconvenience. I know
someone who had 5 police officers erase his camera for taking pictures
of cc-tv around the south bank of the thames... which is technically
illegal (erasing the pictures without due process), but did mean they
then just let him go.

You might have more luck with the speed cameras.

Dave