[OSM-talk] CC-TV, ANPR & GATSOs

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 10:55:47 BST 2008

Greg wrote:
> Is anyone mapping the positioning of these devices in the UK? I don't yet have
> a GPS :o|
>
> Is there an easy guide on how to contribute?
>
> For those outside the UK, the UK is currently the most surveiled society in
> the world. ANPR is a network of automatic numberplate recognition cameras on
> all routes. All our journeys are logged and kept for two years. We also have
> more closed circuit cameras that all other countries. GATSOs are the Belgian
> made traffic speed cameras, which are used partly for safety and partly for
> revenue generation. Coming to most contries soon :o(

[Off topic I know - sorry]
ANPR cameras are not on all routes, very far from it.  All of our
journeys are not logged.  Many (most?) of the Gatso cameras that needed
film didn't have film in them but many of the newer Truvelos are
digital.  They still only record an image if you exceed the speed limit.

cheers, Chris