[OSM-talk] Relations not always brilliant

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:36:25 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>  In the end, moving *all* tags into relations might be the best thing to
>  do, but I think the editors need a lot of work before that is a viable
>  option.  At the moment we have a rather confusing mix.

If I peer into my crystal ball, I can see physical attributes (width,
surface, lanes) being on ways, and non-physical attributes
(references, routes, even street names) moving to relations. Ways will
end up being a connected series of nodes, ending where the properties
change. That's just my hunch.

But there's no hurry. We're short on developers, and documentation
writers, and have a huge community to think about. There's no point in
forcing the pace on this issue - our efforts would be better focussed
on forcing the pace on actual mapping - there's still a staggering
amount of streets to be mapped (even just considering Europe),
regardless of how we tag them.

Cheers,
Andy