[OSM-talk] Relations not always brilliant

Nick nick at shmanahar.org
Mon Apr 7 15:35:30 BST 2008

In article <47FA26EF.4000308 at arjam.net>,
Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
>It's not subjective, it is officially signed - the signs say "A14
>(A11)". This happens all over the place in the UK A roads network.

I can see why this is confusing. But the identification number A11 is
shown in that case because it is indicating the direction you would go
to get to the A11, but you have to turn off the A14 to get to it.

For instance, near me there are signs showing how to get to the M27 on
the A36 - but no-one could say that the road is also the M27.

If you look at the documentation for this it makes clear the distinction
- for instance

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm

"Identification numbers of routes to which a particular route leads
shall be shown in brackets."

So in this case, the sign to which you are referring is saying this is
the A14 leading to the A11. It is not also the A11 as you imply.

HTH

Nick