[OSM-talk] Audio sync with JOSM

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Apr 7 16:02:20 BST 2008

On 07/04/2008 15:49, David Janda wrote:
>  Ah, now I see.
>
> I do think that sync via creation date would be a good idea, and in my case
> where I make multiple recordings it would be marvellous.

If you're making multiple recordings you might want to look at option 3
on the help page in more detail. I refer to "additional software" to
merge the audio links into the GPX file, but in practice this is
probably just a text editing job - locating the GPX point nearest your
audio time stamp, creating the appropriate waypoint XML structure and
adding it into the file.

Does your device let you have a one-button operation to add a waypoint
and a simultaneous voice note?

I wonder whether the following might also be useful: if you selected a
folder at the "import audio" stage, to have JOSM make audio markers for
each WAV file in the folder at points on the GPX track determined by the
file creation dates. We could allow for an offset in the clocks by a
sync in the same way as now, but apply it across all the markers, not
just those with a common audio source.

> But like you said, even with a smartphone, they *could* be using different
> clocks, but a feature still worth implementing.
>
> Once a user is aware that the onus is down to them to ensure the device
> clock is correct, then drift will be down to them, and with network time
> updates this *should* not be a real problem.

Indeed - an error of less than about 0.5 seconds is not going to matter
on a bike - that's typically less than 3m and much less than the
inaccuracy of the GPS fix.

I wrote the audio stuff primarily with a dictaphone in mind, rather than
a networked device. The more I learn about what other kinds of device
can do in practice, the more I can tailor this interface.

David