[OSM-talk] Relations not always brilliant

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Apr 8 14:25:11 BST 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Andrew McCarthy wrote:

> (2) A relation for that road's notional "route", that contains the
> relation above *plus* the (usually obvious) connecting bits that give
> you a single, long distance route from A to B.

Which bits you use to connect the disjointed sections are a rather
arbitrary decision - should OSM be making such decisions?  I mean, there
is no officially documented "this is how you get between these sections"
route so we would be making a route up arbitrarilly.

Sure, for some stuff it might be obvious, but for a lot of stuff it
isn't.  Take the A31, for example - it joins the M3 near Winchester but
then reappears on the westerly end of the M27.  You might say that the M3
and M27 is "obviously" the missing link and add that to the A31 relation,
but that would be completely unsuitable for cyclists.  This really isn't
the job for submitters, this is the job for a route planner program -
submitters are supposed to be recording data, not making relatively
arbitrary decisions about which routes people should take.

  - Steve