[OSM-talk] Voting

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 10:11:16 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Bruce Cowan
<lists at bcowan.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 14:57 +0300, SteveC wrote:
>  > Like, er, electing President Bush, or Prime Minister Gordon Brown (no
>  > election) ?
>
>  I'm a pedant, but you never vote for a Prime Minister. You vote for your
>  local MP and the leader of the party with the most MPs gets to be Prime
>  Minister.

Well, if we're being pedantic then the Queen appoints the PM, and by
convention she chooses the person most likely to have the confidence
of parliament. There's nothing other than "constitutional convention"
to stop her picking anyone she likes, whether they're an MP or not,
and whether parliament likes it or not -- luckily the convention seems
quite strong. So all in all, there's not much voting going on, or
where there is it isn't necessarily treated in the way you'd expect,
which was kind of Steve's point.

But anyway. Both e-mails are evidence of why charging people for
completely pointless posts that don't actually do anything for the
point under discussion is probably a good idea :-)