[OSM-talk] Mapnik: amenity=bus_station

Nick nick at shmanahar.org
Wed Apr 9 12:12:18 BST 2008

In article <alpine.LRH.1.00.0804090935500.27530 at persephone.nexusuk.org>,
Steve Hill  <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
>This is a difficult problem - I can't think of any way to tell (from
>existing data) whether a road is safe to cross without an explicit
>pedestrian crossing.  You can't just go on whether it is primary,
>secondary, etc - there are quite a few secondary roads which can be
>crossed without any trouble but there are also a lot where you wouldn't
>dream of crossing them (or indeed, can't cross them because there is a
>fence on the central reservation).

Perhaps the speed limit tagging could help? I guess it is normally fine
to cross in a 30mph limit, but not in a 60mph limit without a dedicated
crossing.

There are proposals for tagging the crossings.

It is interesting that the lane proposal here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Lane
doesn't have anything about whether the road is safe to cross or
barriers in the middle...

Nick