[OSM-talk] Naga City in OSM Re: GML to OSM

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 12:52:11 BST 2008

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>
>> I suggest setting up a server dedicated to grabbing a planet every week,
>> processing it for boundaries, and automatically generating the is_in tags.
>
> Server and boundary-processing is great; don't think we should
> automatically add is_in tags, though. If (as you, Andy and I have all
> now separately suggested, I think) the information can be fairly
> easily extracted from boundaries, there is no point in duplicating
> this in the database.
>
> Better just to provide a webservice that, given a lat/long, can tell
> you what country (/county/parish) it's in.

But that only addresses one small 'problem' and misses the bigger one of
finding 'all the golf courses in England' or 'all the Islands in the
Philippines'. A single lookup to find ALL the boundaries you are currently
looking within is probably not a major overhead, but the reverse search is
going to involve potentially hundreds of thousands of such enquiries?

A lot of the 'tagging requests' look at a small isolated problem rather than
the bigger picture. The good practice guide is a start but we need to fill in
a few holes still.

Ivan - Personally I have all the data I need as a relational model, but
getting agreement on how UNIQUE tags can be identified in the planet data is
not something I can do myself :( Other people are trying to solve the problem
with the search database and I had not even noticed the 'Where am I?' button
but the information it returns is still not particularly complete as it does
not return WHICH Naga we are looking at in the Philippines on the fact that we
are in the Philippines. SO how does Maning tidy things up so that the missing
data is available?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL