[OSM-talk] Rocky beaches

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Apr 14 15:46:14 BST 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Matt Williams wrote:

> From the proposal at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Water_cover it
> seems that natural=beach, surface=rocky (or surface=rock?) and optional
> water=tidal tag if you feel like it :)

Excellent - that seems to be a good answer, thanks.  Although I note that
the proposal doesn't mention whether it should also be tagged as
natural=beach (how do we actually define a beach?  It's rather a vague
idea).

I've also raised a question on the natural=coastline talk page about what
the coastline actually denotes - I can't see anything saying whether it is
the high water or low water line (I'd assume it's the low water line -
i.e. everything to the right of it is always sea, no matter what the state
of the tide, whilst stuff to the left of it is assumed to be land
(tagged as water=tidal if it is flooded at high tide).

  - Steve