[OSM-talk] GPS accuracy

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:58:02 BST 2008

Chris Hill wrote:
>Sent: 18 April 2008 4:24 PM
>To: Talk OSM
>Subject: [OSM-talk] GPS accuracy
>
>Over last week I've noticed that the accuracy reading on my ETrex has
>briefly gone down to 10ft a few times.  Before last Saturday the best was
>16ft.  Today I saw 9ft briefly.  Anyone else seen this or know what's going
>on?

If WASS support is turned on (EGNOS for those in Europe although the eTrex
still calls it WASS) and its able to see the stationary SBAS satellite(s)
over the equator then the eTrex should give you accuracy values on the
screen of 2m to 6m so almost certainly values below 16 feet are having WASS
corrections applied.

I did note that the recent firmware upgrade to many of the eTrex range that
came out at the end of March had a WASS component, no idea if that's made a
difference or not.

Be wary about the number quoted on the eTrex though. Just because it says
its accuracy is 9 feet doesn't mean to say you are within 9 feet from the
expected position. It's a guide but not in practice a precise value.

Cheers

Andy