[OSM-talk] tagging and rendering highways in the USA and elsewhere

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:36:15 BST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > If we can agree on the rendering rules and get both Mapnik and
> > osmarender sorted out for the USA then people will be incentivised
> > to tag appropriately. The moto 'render and they will come' probably
> > applies here as elsewhere.
>
> Agreeing on the rules or colour schemes is not the problem.

Who decides what colours are used on the main maps? I.e. who actually
decided that motorways should be blue, and trunks should be green, how
railways are rendered etc.?

Say I'd like to see railways rendered differently in the t at h maps, where
should I ask? Is there some "formal" process like for accepting new
tags where general agreement is formed?

Greetings
Ben