[OSM-talk] tagging and rendering highways in the USA and elsewhere

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 18 21:15:21 BST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 21:23:47 Peter Miller wrote:
> The answer is that OSM's currently
> colour scheme seems to be that it is UK imperialism!
>
> For interest, here are some colours using by Google maps around the world
<snip>
> I would suggest we have a default of orange for top-level roads everywhere
> with a local override which is blue for the UK and other countries can
> debate what they want would be idea.

I would suggest we don't change the colours on the default OSM map at all. And
especially not to some US / Google imperialist global uniform style.

If I buy a paper map from Michelin, another one from Kümmerly+Frey and a third
from Falkplan, then I don't expect them to all have the same style. Why would
all electronic maps need to look the same?

There is a really simple technical solution to have a national render style
for OSM maps. Setup your own national tile server. Like the Dutch tile server
and IIRC there is one for Japan too. This has the additional benefit it
spreads the load over more servers.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus