[OSM-talk] BBC: Villages 'discovered' in DR Congo

paul youlten paul.youlten at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 23:15:23 BST 2008

Mapping Africa has is likely to be the most challenging - and at the same
time the most valuable - project that OSM contributes to.

Tony Bowden (User:Tmtm) and I are trying to get a pilot project going in
Uganda to help the Guardian's Katine project (
http://www.guardian.co.uk/katine) which is located North East of Soroti (
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=1.85&lon=33.28&zoom=8&layers=B0FT). The
Guardian is working with local aid agencies to support development in an
area with 66 villages and no access to any up-to-date maps - anyone else
that would like to get involved should email me or leave a message on my
wikipage (User:PaulY).

PaulY

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Matt Williams <lists at milliams.com> wrote:

> It seems the DR Congo has been mapping their villages using GPS devices
> since
> traditional mapping methods are made difficult by the thick forest. See
> the
> BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7355335.stm.
>
> Compare their map
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/africa_enl_1208537563/html/1.stm
> to our's at present
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=-2.017&lon=17.117&zoom=9&layers=B0FT.
>
> Does anyone have any more information about this?
>
> Regards,
> Matt Williams

Tel: +44(0) 7814 517 807