[OSM-talk] Too many nodes?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 00:30:46 BST 2008

la, 2008-04-19 kello 00:32 +0200, Frederik Ramm kirjoitti:

> I think your edits are perfectly ok. Be reminded, though, that we have
> automatic bezier curve hinting in place at least for the "Tiles at Home"
> map, so it is very likely that the road was already a smooth curve on
> the map even before you did your edits.

Bezier hinting doesn't generally seem to work here in Finland yet. The
roads that I edited were definitely unhinted, and all the neighbouring
roads still are. I took a quick look at Helsinki (the capital) too, but
it's rather jaggy there too. I found two ways here in Turku that
apparently are hinted, but not more.

I remember reading this bezier system being planned, but understood that
it wouldn't be nearly ready yet. Is it indeed ready for use, and will it
be the default method for rendering maps? Is it coming to Mapnik too?
What about other renderers? If it will be used for all rendering in the
future, that will make drawing nice curves much easier :-)

Ari Torhamo